Skip to Main Content

For information about COVID-19 policies and restrictions on campus, please visit the UCLA COVID-19 resources website.

UCLA Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars

Dashew Center

1. If I am not taking in-person classes or if I defer, can I still participate in Dashew Center programs/events?

Yes! All Dashew Center programs/events will be held virtually until UCLA reopens campus. See our programming page for more information.

2. How do I meet other Bruins virtually through the Dashew Center?

The Dashew Center has many programs and events that you can participate in to meet other Bruins virtually. Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook / Instagram / Twitter to see what we have to offer!

Incoming international students are especially encouraged to submit questions about life at UCLA, LA and campus resources to our International Student Ambassadors. We also invite incoming and returning international and domestic students to apply to be a Global Sibling. The application is listed on our event calendar.

For questions about programs or events, contact us at .

3. How do I subscribe to the Dashew Center's email updates?

Fill out this form on the Newsletter Subscribe page. You can also email

4. What is iSTART?

iSTART is an online orientation that all incoming international students are required to complete if they are taking classes in the U.S. It has been created to help you get familiar with important visa regulations, academic integrity, Los Angeles and UCLA campus life.

It is mandatory that you complete all five sections of the orientation: Visa Workshop, Academic Integrity, Getting Started at UCLA, Getting Started in LA, and Dimensions of Culture. Each section contains a video and a quiz.

6. Is iSTART part of the UCLA orientation?

No, the iSTART Orientation is separate from the UCLA Orientation for First-Year Students , Transfer Students and Graduate Students .


1. Where do I find information on UCLA Housing?

Please see UCLA Housing's COVID-19 page for detailed information about on-campus housing, university apartments, graduate student housing, move in, dining and the residential experience.

2. I still have more questions about UCLA Housing, who should I contact?

You can visit UCLA Housing's FAQ database - Ask Housing . They are also available via Live Chat and email, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Click here to access Live Chat or email them at

3. Should I sign a new off-campus lease?

According to UCLA Student Legal Services (SLgS), if you sign, you likely will be responsible for paying rent for the entire term of the lease even if you are not living in the apartment. SLgS suggests trying to negotiate with your prospective landlord to add a provision that would relieve you of your responsibilities under the lease for reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit the SLgS website for sample provisions, to make an appointment to have your lease reviewed, and for information on terminating a lease.


1. What services does the Ashe Center offer?

The Ashe Center remains open to serve our student community. Please read through the following health advisory, which includes information on COVID-19 testing , a list of available 'Safer at Home' services and operations updates , and how to access telehealth visits .

2. Where can I find resources and updates from UCLA on COVID-19?

For resources, guidance and updates for the Bruin community, the media and the broader public about UCLA’s ongoing response to the coronavirus pandemic visit:

3. If I plan to take online courses outside LA, but in the US. Do I still need to fulfill the vaccine requirement?

Yes, there are no revisions to the immunization requirement expectations as a result of the COVID pandemic. The one change to this year’s requirement is that the Influenza vaccine is now mandatory as well.

4. What if a vaccine required is not available in my home country?

Students with this issue should contact the immunization office directly.

5. What are the immunization fees?

The fee of each immunization required is on the Immunization Requirement website.


1. How do I get a Social Security Number?

F-1 students are only eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) if they have a paid job offer through on-campus employment or authorized off-campus employment. To request a SSN:

Step 1 : Obtain an Employment Verification/Offer Letter Obtain an employment verification/offer letter from an on-campus or off-campus employer (valid off-campus employment authorization required). The letter must be on official employer letterhead and include your job title, dates of employment, number of hours of work per week, and location of employment. For a sample, please see Sample Employment Verification Letter .

Step 2 : Submit a Social Security Letter Request from to DCISS Submit a Social Security Letter Request form to DCISS with your employment verification/offer letter (no appointment required). Your Social Security Eligibility Letter will be ready for pick up 3 business days after the date of your submission.

Step 3 : Apply for a SSN at the Social Security Administration Take the following documents to Social Security Administration (SSA):

  • DCISS Social Security Letter
  • UCLA I-20
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure Card
  • Passport

Click here to locate your nearest Social Security Administration Office.

* Note: The earliest you can request a Social Security Letter from DCISS and a SSN from the Social Security Administration is 30 days before your paid employment start date.

* If you are receiving scholarships, fellowships, or grants, but are currently ineligible for an SSN, then you must instead apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

2. Can I still apply for the SSN after I graduated?

Students can apply for an SSN with their approved OPT work authorization.

3. Who can HR administrators receive guidance from to hire students who will be overseas during the quarter?

Contact UCLA Central Resource Unit .

4. I am a graduate student and have questions about employment/funding, who do I contact?

Since there are many types of funding for graduate students (Fellowship, GSR, TA, and RA), we recommend students to get in touch with their hiring department by contacting UCLA Central Resource Unit and UCLA Graduate Division for more information.

5. Which bank should I open an account with?

At this time the Dashew Center cannot recommend one specific bank. However, both Wescom Credit Union and University Credit Union have locations on campus.


1. What will the mode of instruction be for fall 2021?

Information is changing rapidly, therefore we recommend you look to the UCLA COVID-19 page for the most current updates.

2. What does remote mean?

A remote offering meets online using applications like Zoom and other instructor identified tools. Remote offerings will have ONLINE for the meeting location.

3. What does hybrid mean?

A hybrid offering is a combination of on-site and remote sessions. Some parts of the class are delivered in-person while other class parts are delivered online. The meeting location will be displayed with ONLINE and a building/room.

4. What is the difference between online, online-recorded and online-asynchronous?

Online : Classes will be held at scheduled times with faculty delivering course content using remote communication tools and students in attendance using those tools.

Online - recorded : Classes will be held at scheduled times with faculty delivering course content using remote communication tools and with students in attendance using those tools. Faculty will record and make available those scheduled activities for subsequent use by students. However, students should be aware that faculty may still request their participation during scheduled meeting times.

Online - asynchronous : With the exception of office hours or review sections, there are no pre-scheduled sessions for this class. Lectures and all class content will be available online.

5. What if I need remote learning technology?

UCLA remains committed to providing assistance to those students who may not have access to proper remote learning technologies. UCLA offers several programs that can help with purchasing or borrowing laptops, Wi-Fi hotspots, and other devices. Please visit Bruin Resources and Tools for more information.

6. Will UCLA be adding additional in-person classes?

Class locations on student study lists and the schedule of classes will state whether a class is in-person, hybrid or remote. Information is changing rapidly, therefore we recommend you look to the UCLA COVID-19 page for the most current updates.

7. Does the Dashew Center have remote learning resources for the international community?

Yes, we have created a document that outlines best practices for international students during remote learning. You can view that and the Student Affairs Guidebook on remote learning here .