An Out-of-Country status is only available for J-1 Research Scholars and Professors. Such status must be placed on your SEVIS record if you will be outside of the U.S. for more than one academic quarter (3 months). You may qualify for Out-of-Country status only if you and the UCLA collaborators will continue the research activities during this absence and you will maintain your UCLA appointment.

Submit the request form online and upload a letter from your Faculty Supervisor on UCLA letterhead explaining the purpose of your time abroad. Processing time is 10 business days. You will be notified by email when the Out-of-Country status has been approved and processed in SEVIS.