Skip to Main Content

For coronavirus information for the UCLA community, please visit the Ashe Center website and UCLA’s information page.

UCLA Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars

Exchange Visitor (J-1) Unit Contact Email

How do I obtain J-1 visa status to study at UCLA?

You will need to obtain a DS-2019 form from UCLA to obtain J-1 visa status. To request for a UCLA DS-2019, you must first submit the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) to confirm acceptance of your admission to UCLA. Once you have submitted your SIR, you will be emailed with instructions on how to request a UCLA DS-2019 online.

Students who intend to receive J-1 visa status for Degree programs or Non-degree programs at any time during their studies must have a ‘substantial’ portion (at least 51%) of their total expected expenses at UCLA covered by a source other than personal or family funds. Such funds may be identified as a scholarship, fellowship, or a grant/award from a government or academic institution, organization, or company.

After my arrival at UCLA, how soon must I complete the online visa check-in?

It is mandatory that you complete the online visa check-in with DCISS by the end of week 2 of your first quarter at UCLA. If you fail to report to our office within this time period, your DS-2019 form will be voided automatically by the US Homeland Security Department making your stay in the U.S. illegal. Contact DCISS immediately if you will not be able to complete the online visa check-in by the deadline.

Where do I get a UCLA Bruin Card?

Please go to 123 Kerckhoff Hall in order to get your new Bruin Card.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment by calling the DCISS front desk staff at 310.825.1681.

What services need an appointment?

Appointments with a counselor are required for the following: Any detailed questions regarding your visa status, home residency requirement, change of status or other out-of-the-ordinary requests, transfers and work permits/academic training.