J-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment and make normal academic progress toward completion of their degree or exchange program.

  • Undergraduate Students: minimum of 12 units per academic quarter (students are not required to enroll full-time for Summer Quarter).
  • Graduate Students : minimum of 8-12 units per academic quarter (please check with your department for full-time course load unit requirements).

* J-1 students can only count one course of online coursework toward the full-time enrollment requirement.

Failure to maintain full-time enrollment during your program will result in severe consequences for your J-1 status.

Reduced Course Load (RCL)

J-1 students may be authorized by the Dashew Center to drop below full-time enrollment for the following circumstances:

  • Academic Difficulty: student has difficulty with a course due to improper course placement, initial difficulty with reading requirements, or unfamiliarity with UCLA teaching methods (this reason can only be used once during the program and students must maintain at least 50% of full-time enrollment).
  • Illness/Medical Condition: student has a medical condition (medical doctor's recommendation letter required).
  • Final Quarter at UCLA (option not available for exchange students): student has less units remaining to complete their program than is required to maintain full-time enrollment.

To request authorization for a Reduced Course Load (RCL):

  • Step 1: Complete the RCL Request Form
    Complete the top portion of the RCL Request form and have your Academic Counselor complete the bottom portion of the form, confirming the reason for your RCL request. EAP Exchange students must obtain a signature from their UCEAP advisor at the International Education Office (IEO). Signature from advisor is not required for a Medical RCL.

  • Step 2: Obtain a Recommendation Letter from a Medical Doctor, Ashe Student Health Center, or UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) (for Medical RCL Requests only)
    Obtain a support letter from a U.S. medical doctor recommending you to drop below full-time enrollment or drop all enrollment for a specific academic term due to a medical condition.

  • Step 3: Submit the RCL Request through the MyBruin International Portal
    A J-1 Counselor will review your request and confirm your RCL authorization by email if your request has been approved.

J-1 students are not allowed to drop below full-time enrollment without receiving prior authorization for a Reduced Course Load (RCL) from the Dashew Center.