The Exchange Visitor (J-1) Program was established by the U.S. Government to allow students and scholars from other countries to come to the U.S. to participate in educational and cultural programs. The objective of the Exchange Visitor Program is to increase mutual understanding between the citizens of the U.S. and the Exchange Visitors’ countries. The visitors may participate in studies, research, teaching, or receive training.

J-1 Exchange Visitor

Exchange Visitors will obtain the J-1 visa from their program sponsors. Accompanying dependents (spouse and unmarried children of 21 years of age or younger) will get J-2 visa status. UCLA offers J-1 status for the following categories:

Specialist Maximum duration 12 months
Short Term Scholar Maximum duration 6 months
Researcher Maximum duration 60 months
Professor Maximum duration 60 months
Non-degree student Maximum duration 24 months
Student As long as enrolled in a degree program

Dashew Center will issue a DS2019 form " Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status " which the prospective visitor takes to a US Embassy/Consulate to apply for J-1 visa.

A DS2019 form is required 1) to obtain a J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad, 2) to extend the stay in the U.S., 3) to transfer from another institution to UCLA and 4) to change visa status from another non-immigrant visa, such as B-1 or F-1, to the J status. The U.S. Department of State monitors the Exchange Visitor Program; compliance with the regulations and purpose of the program rests with the DCISS.

Important Information

Exchange Visitors through Graduate Division, Undergraduate Research Center or UOEAP
For prospective visiting researchers who are currently pursuing a degree abroad and have not yet completed their PhD studies, UCLA departments must first contact UCLA Graduate Division or the Undergraduate Research Center for guidelines, eligibility requirements, and application procedures

For visitors through the Education Abroad Program (EAP), departments need to contact the Universitywide Office of EAP.

Exchange Visitors to UCLA School of Medicine

UCLA School of Medicine Visa and Licensing Office processes J-1 visas for visitors to the School of Medicine and other affiliated hospitals.