On select cases where the visitor is invited to come to UCLA as a speaker or will be attending a meeting, interview, conference or workshop for a duration of 3 weeks or less, the B1/B2/ESTA(WB/WT) visa may be an option. With regards to payment eligibility under B1/B2/ESTA(WB/WT) visa, contact UCLA payroll for restrictions and limitations.


A tourist visa (B1/B2/WB/WT) status may be, at first glance, thought as appropriate for certain visitors who are invited to UCLA. These visits can be short in duration, the visitor may not be paid, and they will not have a formal appointment at the university. However, if the university is benefiting from the visit, if equipment and facilities used are owned or operated by the university, the contents of the visit and/or research activity undertaken might result in the form of published work, patent or discovery at a later date, and/or the visitor is involved in a formally structured program, use of B1/B2/WB/WT visa will contradict U.S. Department of State guidelines. In such cases a J-1 visa would be the appropriate visa status. The Department of State has made clear that any visitor to a U.S. academic institution who engages in a collaborative activity or research, and whose activity will benefit the hosting institution should be sponsored for a J-1 visa.