Skip to Main Content

For information about COVID-19 policies and restrictions on campus, please visit the UCLA COVID-19 resources website.

UCLA Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars

Any employment opportunity must be reviewed and authorized by DCISS before activity can take place. This includes receiving travel reimbursements and honorariums from an off-campus institute. Eligibility and instructions for employment authorization will differ based on the J-1 visa category.

J-1 Research Scholar/Professor/Short-term Scholar/Specialist

Employment authorization from DCISS is required for any activity taking place outside of the hosting UCLA academic department. Please contact DCISS if you plan to be employed by another UCLA department.

Procedures for Employment Authorization

J-1 Student Non-Degree

Visiting Student Researchers on the J-1 Student Non-degree visa must request employment authorization from DCISS for any employment taking place on campus even if employment is taking place in the hosting academic department. Off-campus employment is not allowed.

J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization Form