Undergraduate student researchers must be registered with the UCLA Undergraduate Research Center. Departments must contact the Undergraduate Research Center for information. Complete application instructions are available on their website.
Once the department receives approval notification from the Undergraduate Research Center, the department can submit the DS-2019 request to DCISS through the online International Scholar Dossier (ISD) application. Only academic department personnel have the ability to initiate the DS-2019 request through ISD.
International Scholar Dossier (ISD)
DS-2019 processing time is 15 working days. Requests should be submitted at least 3 months prior to start date of program to give student enough time to apply for the J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy and make travel arrangements. Documents required to be uploaded to ISD are listed below.
Also note the following guidelines when requesting a DS-2019 for undergraduate students:
- They are only eligible for the J-1 “Student Non-Degree” category.
- Programs must be for a minimum 22 days.
- Program activity must equate to a full-time work load (Must be confirmed in memo from faculty supervisor).
- Students must have a ‘substantial’ portion (at least 51%) of their funding coming from a source other than personal or family funds. Such funds may be identified as a scholarship, fellowship, or a grant/award from another organization.
- Visa services fee for non-degree student requests is $340. (See below for more information on fees.)
Item 1: DS-2019 Department Approval Form
Completed DS-2019 Department Approval Form . Requires signatures from:
- Faculty Advisor
- Chairperson of the department
Student Researchers are only eligible for the J-1 Student Non-Degree category.
Item 2: Copy of the Picture Page of Passports
Copy of the picture page of the passport for the visitor and accompanying dependents if applicable.
Item 3: Evidence of Financial Support
Minimum required financial support is provided below:
- Scholar : $30,300 per year / $2525 per month
- Spouse : $6,000 per year / $500 per month
- Each Child : $2,667 per year / $222 per month
Visiting student researchers must have a ‘substantial’ portion (at least 51%) of their funding coming from a source other than personal or family funds. Such funds may be identified as a scholarship, fellowship, or a grant/award from another organization.
Include documentary evidence of financial support in English. If supported by UCLA no additional documents are necessary. Acceptable financial documents include:
- Personal funds: A recent bank statement no older than 6 months verifying the required amount of money. Online print-outs and ATM receipts are not acceptable documents.
- Family funds from abroad: Bank statements, sponsorship letter, and/or bank letters verifying that EV will receive the required amount of money from their family during the term.
- Government or other sponsoring agency: A signed copy of the scholarship or award letter on official letterhead which states the amount and duration of the award.
- Home country institution/employer: Copy of signed letter from employer on official letterhead indicating the amount and continuation of salary payments during program participation.
Item 4: Departmental Recharge Form
J-1 Fees: $300 visa services fee* + $40.00 processing fee per year of appointment . For example, the fee for an appointment over 1 year and less than 2 years will be $380. Scholars fully supported through UCLA 19900/20000 funds are exempt from the $300 fee.
Payment must be submitted through departmental recharge. DCISS cannot accept payment from the visitor.
J-2 Dependent Fees: $40.00 processing fee per year of appointment. Can be paid either through departmental recharge or through the DCISS website.
*The $300 visa processing fee cannot be paid by Contract and Grant (C&G) funds unless the funding source does not involve a federal agency. The fund range for C&G funds are provided on the chart below.
|Funds Category||Fund Range*|
|State of CA–Agencies||18200-18887|
|State of CA–Agencies||18889-18999|
|Private Grant& Contracts||57000-59999|
|Private Grant& Contracts||77500-84999|
* Allowed on sponsored award if funding source does not involve federal agency.
Please see FEE section below.
Item 5: Resume/CV of the Applicant
Resume/CV of the visitor outlining academic background and professional experience.
Item 6: Appointment Letter
Memo from the faculty supervisor, addressed to UCLA Exchange Visitor Program. Include the following in the letter:
- the exchange visitor’s name, title of UCLA appointment
- a detailed description of activities the EV will undertake, including breakdown of percentages of duties/activities, i.e., teaching, research, observation, training, attending conferences,
- the site where the research will take place, etc.
- must confirm that the student will be engaged "full-time" in their proposed activity
Item 7: Certification of English Language Proficiency
Department sponsors need to determine English proficiency for J-1 exchange visitors in one of 5 ways:
- A UCLA recognized English language test;
- Certification by home academic institution where English is used;
- Certification by English Language School where English training was completed within the past 2 years;
- Copy of signed diploma or signed transcript from U.S. universities or universities in countries where English is the native language; or
- A documented interview conducted by the UCLA faculty advisor either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option.
The Certification of English Language Proficiency form must be included with all NEW and TRANSFER DS-2019 Requests. English Certification is not required for EXTENSION requests. An applicant whose first language is English and is a citizen of a country in which English is the primary spoken language of daily life (e.g., Australia, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, United Kingdom) is exempt from this requirement.
Item 8: Undergraduate Research Center Approval
Attach the Approval Form from the Undergraduate Research Center (URC). URC will email this form to the department.
Item 9: Copy of Previous DS-2019 Forms
Copies of visitor's previous DS-2019 forms are required if they have participated in a J-1 program within the past 2 years.