Self-supporting programs that are not degree, VGR, or URC programs must be reviewed by DCISS to determine eligibility for J-1 visa status. Please provide DCISS with the following documents before submitting DS-2019 requests for program participants:
1. Official Program Description
2. A memo from the faculty supervisor, addressed to DCISS J-1 Unit, UCLA Exchange Visitor Program. Include in the letter the following:
- a detailed description of activities the participants will undertake, including breakdown of percentages of duties/activities, i.e., studying, teaching, research, observation, training, attending conferences.
- the site where the program will take place
- the amount of time participants will be engaged in program activity (e.g. part-time, full-time)
3. A letter of support from the Academic Department Dean, addressed to DCISS J-1 Unit, UCLA Exchange Visitor Program. The memo from the Academic Dean must confirm the review and approval of the self-supporting program.