Students require a Social Security Number (SSN) Support Letter from DCISS to apply for an SSN at the Social Security Administration Office. The SSN allows students to receive compensation and apply for a drivers license. To request an SSN Support Letter from DCISS, please fill out and submit the following online form:

SSN Support Letter Request Form

SSN Instructions

Click here to locate your nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) Office. J-1 visa holders must wait at least 10 days after their visa check-in to apply at the SSA.

SSA Policy on SSN for Noncitizens

J-2 Dependents are not eligible for an SSN unless they have obtained a work permit (EAD) through U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS).