Exchange Visitors need the following documents to enter the U.S. from a trip abroad:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp (except when returning from Mexico, Canada or adjacent islands after a trip lasting no longer than 30 days)
  • Valid DS-2019 form with a travel validation signature to re-enter the U.S. after a trip abroad

The travel validation signature is valid for 1 year and accommodates multiple trips within the 1 year. In order to obtain a travel validation signature, the Exchange Visitor must fill out the the J-1 Travel Authorization Request Form. The Dashew Center will email you an updated DS-2019 form with travel signature. Further information is provided on the request form:

Automatic Visa Revalidation allows J-1 holders to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or one of the adjacent islands to the U.S. (other than Cuba) on an expired J-1 visa and valid DS-2019 if the trip is not exceeding 30 days. If you meet one of the following criteria, you will NOT be able to use the automatic revalidation rule.

  • You applied for a new J-1 visa while being out of the U.S. and it has not been issued.
  • You applied for a new J-1 visa and were denied.
  • You have a terminated or completed SEVIS record.
  • You have been out of the U.S. for more than 30 days.
  • You are a citizen from one of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, North Korea